North Kawartha implemented a curbside garbage program in 2004.
North Kawartha services all roads within the Township for curbside garbage and recycling collection. This includes Municipal, Private and Fire Route Roads.
Garbage and Recycling will be collected on the same day. Please refer to the detailed maps to confirm your collection date. In summary, all roads north of Long Lake Road will have both their garbage and recycling collected on Mondays. Long Lake Road and south, will have a Thursday collection day for both garbage and recycling.
- Garbage is to be set out by 7am the day of collection and NOT before the day of collection.
- Please do not put loose garbage in containers.
- Residents on private roads must ensure that roads are passable. Passable conditions shall include snowplowing, sanding and/or salting.
Missed Garbage or Recycling Collection
- Please contact Progressive Waste Solutions Canada Inc. immediately at 705-742-4268, so that the situation may be corrected, or alternate arrangements made.
- If your garbage or recycling is cancelled due to extreme weather conditions, please place out at your next scheduled pick up.
- If you missed your garbage or recycling collection, you may put a bag tag on it and take it to the nearest transfer station, or put it out at your next collection day.
The Curbside Garbage and Recycling Collection will not be affected on any Statutory Holiday from Easter Monday to Thanksgiving Monday, inclusive. During these holidays, Curbside garbage and recycling will run as normal. As an example, there will be no curbside garbage or recycling collection on Family Day of each year. Collection will resume the following Monday.
Please note: There will be no curbside collection on Monday, December 26th, 2016. However, both the Anstruther and Haultain transfer stations will be open from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, for your convenience.
Garbage Bag/Container Rules
Check out more information about recycling on our Household Garbage page.
Residential establishments are allowed one bag/container of household garbage, weekly, for free.
- Up to 4 additional bags/containers can be picked up. However, each additional bag/container will require a bag tag issued by North Kawartha.
Business establishments are allowed two bags/containers of household garbage, weekly, for free.
- Up to 8 additional bags/containers can be picked up. However, each additional bag/container will require a bag tag issued by North Kawartha.
- All containers are to be no larger than 68 litres (17 gallons) and no heavier than 18kg (40lbs).
- If bags are to be used, they should be no larger than 76cm x 94cm (30" x 37").
Recycling Blue Boxes/Bins
Check out more information about recycling on our Recycling page.